Oxfordshire Exercise on Referral
What is Exercise on Referral?
Exercise on referral aims to help eligible patients in Oxfordshire become more physically active by taking part in a tailored exercise programmes delivered by trained professionals. Patients pay the discounted prices of their local fitness facility.
Who is it for?
The scheme is for patients aged 16 or over who are registered with a GP within the Oxfordshire PCT area. Patients should be inactive but physically able to take part in the scheme and have sufficient motivation to do so. Patients who are referred to the scheme often have health conditions such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Mental health problems such as depression or anxiety
- Musculoskeletal disease
- Respiratory disease
Which leisure facilities offer Exercise on Referral?
See the document below for a list of facilities offering Exercise on Referral in Oxfordshire.
What will I have to do on the exercise referral scheme?
All that is expected from you on the exercise referral scheme is a commitment to get more active, with the help of trained instructors. You might also like to take up activities such as walking outside of your sessions at the fitness facility.
Is it safe for me to exercise?
If your medical professional completes an exercise referral form for you, they are giving you the go ahead to get active. A trained fitness professional will provide a full fitness assessment and 12 week programme of gentle activity to meet your individual medical and fitness needs. There will always be an element of risk associated with being physically active, however the benefits to health far outweigh the risks of not being active. Many thousands of patients have taken part in physical activity referral schemes across the UK and there remain very few reported serious adverse events.
What will I be offered on the scheme?
- A fitness assessment and readiness for exercise screening with a qualified exercise instructor.
- A gym induction and exercise programme designed to meet your individual medical and fitness needs.
- Reduced rates for using the gym for 12 weeks
- In many facilities, reduced rates for swimming and taking part in studio classes for 12 weeks.
- Access to specialist group classes e.g.: for people with cardiac problems (not available at all facilities)
- An assessment when you complete 12 weeks on the scheme.
- Continued support and advice from dedicated exercise professionals
How long does the exercise on referral scheme last?
The exercise on referral scheme is intended as an introduction to getting more active. You will have the support and direction of a dedicated instructor for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks the team will help you to find the right activity to keep you motivated to exercise.